No pictures for this post, just some thoughts. Let me set-up the event. This morning I knew we needed to go to the doctor to get his cough checked out and we needed to go get a haircut (especially since he has school pictures tomorrow). There are only two places we go that Jackson will start crying before we even walk in the door...the doctor's office and the haircut place. What a fun morning for me! Anyway, we made it though the doctor's office with just a few tears and then while getting a haircut he only cried during half of the cut. At least he sat in the chair by himself this time, the times previously he's stood in the chair with his arms around my neck. So I think we have it made. We just needed to stop by Target and then we were going to have some pizza for lunch (reward for being a big boy at the doctor and haircut place) before heading home.
Jackson hates to ride in the cart so I let him walk. He had the "you're about to have to sit in the cart" warning and then it all went downhill. While I was getting a box of Kleenex, Jackson proceeded to climb into the shelf of toilet paper and hide behind the large packages. Once I drug him out, I immediately placed him in the cart. Let the screaming and sobbing begin. People were stopped in their tracks and staring like I was abusing my child. I kept walking when I noticed a Target employee walking towards me. As he got closer, I realized he had a cookie in his hand and was reaching it out towards Jackson (whose eyes were luckily looking the other way). I wanted to scream "You want me to REWARD my child for acting like this?" but instead I said politely "No thank you" and gave him the evil mommy eyes.
That's my beef...I know the man was thinking he was doing the right thing but really. Doesn't he know that had I allowed Jackson to have that cookie, my future shopping trips would have be nightmares? I firmly believe in giving Jackson something to look forward to after something that he fears so much (like the doctor or haircut) but to give him a cookie for throwing a tantrum in the store....umm, not going to happen.
What Is this Kid Thinking About?
10 years ago


6 comments:
I totally understand...about all of it! We've had many moments in the store...seems it's always target. AND, why in the world do people feel it's appropriate to offer children cookies and suckers without asking the parents first??!! We had an employee offer Eli a sucker while standing in line to get dinner at Scottie P's...he wasn't upset...a sucker just before dinner??? Obviously these people don't have toddlers! : )
Way to go, Mommy!That story triggered a dream about Jackson last night. He cried for his blanket, so we looked & looked and finally found it and gave it to him. He looked at me so sweetly and said, "See? No more tears!"
You go girl!!! I'm proud of you for telling the guy no thank you and sticking to your guns.
I have been discouraged by the number of people that will offer Ethan sweets without checking with me first and at the most inopportune times! I agree with Laura that either these people don't have children or they are not very good parents!
TOTALLY can relate!! I have walked out of quite a few stores lately, but once Tal figured out that I was serious and would happily leave a CART full of groceries in the middle of walmart while carrying him out kicking and screaming- he now often says- "I obey and behave" before we ever even unbuckle him from his car seat!!
that is WILD that someone was going to give you a COOKIE for him!! way to go for staying strong!!!
Way to go!! I would have done the same thing had it been me and Rylee and I know Lori would have done the same with Kooper.
I responded to a message from you awhile back asking for more photos from the walk. Did you not get it? If not, can you send them to me?
Been there, done that, and should have some kind of t-shirt to show for it!
Just know that you're not the only one!
Gotta love shopping with toddlers:)
Post a Comment